Lyssikatos v. King (2017)
Category: Active Case Open Government Police Practices
About This Case:
This is a lawsuit against the Pawtucket Police over the Department's refusal to release reports of alleged police officer misconduct generated by its Internal Affairs Division (IAD). Filed on behalf of Dimitri Lyssikatos, a member of the Rhode Island Accountability Project, the suit argues that the Department's refusal to release the records is a violation of the state’s Access to Public Records Act (APRA). A similar suit was filed in November 2018.
In July 2019, the ACLU appealed to 1) the RI Supreme Court and 2) the Attorney General requesting that both bodies reverse a 2017 Attorney General that allows police to keep secret some of its reports of police misconduct.
ACLU Cooperating Attorneys:
James D. Cullen, R. Kelly Sheridan
- The Lawsuit
- Related RI Attorney General Opinion
- Lyssikatos Motion for Summary Judgement (December 2018)
- Lyssikatos Cert Memo (May 2019)
- Defendant's Objection to Cert Memo (June 2019)
- ACLU Appeal to RI Supreme Court
- Letter of Appeal to AG Neronha