English Learner Students v. Providence School District (2016)
Category: Active Case Civil Rights Discrimination Racial/Ethnic Discrimination Rights of the Poor Students' Rights
About this Case:
This is a series of legal actions involving the Providence School Department's failure to meet the educational needs of English Language students, in violation of federal law.
A related open records lawsuit, RILS v. Providence School District, can be found here.
Complaintants applealed RIDE decision to CESE in April 2019.
Veronika Kot, Ellen Saideman
- Formal Complaint to DOJ (April 2016)
- DOJ Settlement (April 2018)
- RIDE Hearing Officer Decision (September 2018)
- RIDE Decision (March 2019)
- Complaintant Appeal to CESE (April 2019)
- DOJ Investigation Findings (September 2019)
- Letter to CESE (January 2020)
Related News Releases
- Jan 27, 2020 - Groups Voice Alarm Over Scheduled State Education Vote on English Language Learners
- Sep 17, 2019 - ACLU, Legal Services Blast Providence Schools and RIDE for Treatment of English Learner Students
- Apr 11, 2019 - ACLU and R.I. Legal Services Appeal Decision Undermining Rights of English Language Learners
- Apr 14, 2016 - Complaint Filed Against Providence School District for Treatment of ELL Students